Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:38:32 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        WATANABE Kazuhiro <CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp>
Subject:   Re: Canon Pixma iP4500 - problem with colours

On Sunday 05 October 2008, WATANABE Kazuhiro wrote:

> So you will be able to use Canon iP4500 (and MP610/MP520/iP3500) with
> the procedure below.

Thanks for the detailed installation instructions for the Pixma iP4500
linux drivers from Canon.

I followed the instructions and everything went very smoothly apart from
one minor problem. Using rpm2cpio and cpio to extract the files from
cnijfilter-ip4500series-2.80-1.i386.rpm resulted in all the directories
being created with mode 700. This resulted in "permission denied"
errors when piping an ascii test file through a2ps and gs to cifip4500.
After setting the directory permissions to 755 everything was fine and
I now have a functional printer.

The output quality is much better than I could get with the gutenprint
driver but the output is limited to 600 dpi so it's nothing like as
good as the windows driver in high quality mode. But it is certainly
good enough for normal day to day use and I don't mind switching to
Windows for the occasional high quality photo print.

--
Mike Clarke