Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 08:56:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD driver

As Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:

>  > and have been playing a little with CD-DA.  (Sheesh, i should really
>  > get a soundcard, i guess. :)
>
> Oh you will need to fix the sound drivers too :-) I don't know if
> there is a mainboard/soundcard/driver-version able to play
> 16bit/44.1KHz sound.

Hmm, i'm rather interested in hearing anything at all.  Right now,
i've been using pcaudio... sounds terrible, of course. :)

> And it may happen that some drives forbid totally CD-DA. I think you

Yes, of course.  Early SCSI drives are too eager in following the
specs.  I'm not sure whether the SCSI specificators had copy
protection in mind, or whether they deemed it not useful to process
the sounds digitally, but i believe it required a certain pressure
from the industry before the vendors implemented this feature.  (I
remember that our old Indys came with a Toshiba 3401 and used this
feature, while the 3301 cannot do it.)

> need to select the method according to the drive identification and
> then to have a manufacturer/model -> method table somewhere.

But this will require kernel hacking to add a clone drive of a
different vendor which behaves identical to something that's already
known.  One rogue's table (for the tape drives) is already one too
much... when it comes to maintain it.  Now, if you think of Toshiba
cycling their model numbers four times a year: ick!

Perhaps a vendor-based selection would already suffice?  (Yep, it will
fail for a Toshiba 3301, but there's not a big problem since the owner
of such an old drive cannot get it to read CD-DA in any way, so it's
only slightly more broken than special-casing this ``too old'' case.)

>  > While we are at it, does anybody know of other methods to enable
>  > CD-DA?
>
> I have (had? - I have not tested it for a long time) CD-DA working
> with my sony drives, using the 0xd9 scsi command. I implemented it
> with an additional ioctl.

0xd9?  Sheesh.  Yet another one...  What is it?  The same parameter
list as 0xa8 (READ(12))?

--
cheers, J"org