Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:44:59 +0200
From:      Artyom Mirgorodskiy <artyom.mirgorodsky@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Subject:   Re: X on ThinkPad X220 with chrome or firefox goes blank

Did you try to rebuild xorg-server with latest clang patch? (this patch commited 2-3 days ago)

On Monday 17 December 2012 08:40:37 Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I updated my notebook over the last couple of days and have now
> problems starting chrome and firefox. The effect is that the screen
> turns blury leaving hard to recognose characters on a white screen
> after starting any of these applications.
>
> I can use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to come back to the terminal. Of course, this is
> now a flight in the dark. After entering Ctrl-C and restart X, I get a
> new X running until I start firefox or chrome again.
>
> Applications like Claws Mail, Arora or xterm work without problems.
>
> I do not see anything different in the log file of X.
>
> Does anybody have a clue what could cause this?
>
> I will recompile and reinstall all my ports now to see what will come
> out there.
>
> Erich
Artyom Mirgorodskiy
From owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG  Mon Dec 17 11:50:54 2012
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:50:45 +0100
From: Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To: "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Clang/LLVM revision 169451
Cc: FreeBSD Current <Current@freebsd.org>

On 2012-12-17 09:36, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
>> No, there is no one-click merge script, it needs humanoid help, I'm
>> afraid. :-)  Is there any reason you cannot just install the port, or
>> if that is too outdated, just checkout from llvm.org directly and build
>> it?
>
> is it currently possible to build FreeBSD world, without clang and
> then build clang from ports?

There is no real need, as you can just put /usr/local/bin before
/usr/bin in your PATH, but if you really want to do so, you can put the
following in /etc/src.conf:

CC=gcc
CXX=g++
CPP=gcpp