Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:09:18 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gnn@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Socket problems with latest -current

Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Doug Barton wrote:
>> gnn@freebsd.org wrote:

>>> I'll take a quick look at this too.
>> Thanks. I installed a totally generic RELENG_6 system from scratch
>> yesterday, and confirmed that the problem I had in -current exists in
>> -stable too. This is a serious issue, given that the default
>> installation will have INET6 in the kernel, but ipv6_enable=no in
>> /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>>
>> It would be preferable of course to fix the actual problem, but
>> between "it works" and "it is fully RFC compliant," I have to pick the
>> former.
>
> Hey Doug--
>
> I'm trying to reproduce this problem but without success.  I did an
> install of 6.2-RC1/i386 from CD into a Parallels VM, then manually
> updated /etc/rc.d/auto_linklocal to version 1.1.2.3.2.1 (same as 1.4 you
> tested with).

I'm not sure if they're relevant or not, but the differences between
what you did and what I did are:

1. I installed on a real box
2. I installed 6.1-RELEASE from CD, then cvsup'ed to RELENG_6.

One other possible difference, I'm on a Core 2 Duo, running i386 SMP.

You might also try enabling named for your testing. The default
configuration should give you a simple local resolver which you can
then test things like 'dig @127.0.0.1 www.yahoo.com'

hth,

Doug