Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2012 03:39:20 -0800
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@penx.com>
To:        Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS sync / ZIL clarification

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 09:09 +0100, Peter Maloney wrote:
> On 01/30/2012 09:30 PM, Dennis Glatting wrote:

> >> With ESXi = true
> >> with others = depends on your definition of horrible

> >> true only for the specific dataset you specified
> >> eg.
> >> zfs set sync=disabled tank/esxi

> >> Same thing... "waiting for a disk-flush" is the only time the ZIL is
> >> used, from what I understand.

> >> False I guess. Would be nice, but how do you battery back your RAM,
> >> which ZFS uses as a write cache? (If you know something I don't know,
> >> please share.)
> >> sync=disabled caused data corruption for me. So you need to have battery
> >> backed cache... unfortunately, the cache we are talking about is in RAM,
> >> not your IO controller. So put a UPS on there, and you are safe except
> >> when you get a kernel panic (which is what happened to cause my
> >> corruption). But if you get something like the Gigabyte iRAM or the
> >> Acard ANS-9010
> >> <http://www.acard.com.tw/english/fb01-product.jsp?prod_no=ANS-9010&type1_title=%20Solid%20State%20Drive&idno_no=270>,
> >> set it as your ZIL, and leave sync=standard, you should be safer. (I
> >> don't know if the iRAM works in FreeBSD, but someone
> >> <http://christopher-technicalmusings.blogspot.com/2011/06/speeding-up-freebsds-nfs-on-zfs-for-esx.html>;
> >> told me he uses the ANS-9010)
> >>
> >> And NFS with ZFS is not horrible, except with ESXi's built in NFS client
> >> it uses for datastores.  (the same someone that said he uses the
> >> ANS-9010 also provides a 'patch' for the FreeBSD NFS server that
> >> disables ESXi's stupid behavior, without disabling sync entirely, but
> >> also possibly disables it for others that use it responsibly [a database
> >> perhaps])
> >>
> >> here
> >> <http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfs-perf/results/cel/write-throughput.html>;
> >> is a fantastic study about NFS; dunno if this study resulted in patches
> >> now in use or not, or how old it is [newest reference is 2002, so at
> >> most 10 years old]. In my experience, the write caching in use today
> >> still sucks. If I run async with sync=disabled, I can still see a huge
> >> improvement (20% on large files, up to 100% for smaller files <200MB)
> >> using an ESXi virtual disk (with ext4 doing write caching) compared to
> >> NFS directly.
> >>

> >> Here begins the rant about ESXi, which may be off topic:
> >>
> > ESXi 3.5, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, or all of the above?
> >
> I didn't know 5.0.0 was available for free. Thanks for the notice.

I downloaded ESXi 5.0 when it was free eval but since licensed it.

> My testing has been with 4.1.0 build 348481, but if you look around on
> the net, you will find no official sensible workarounds/fixes/etc.. They
> don't even acknowledge the issue is in the ESXi NFS client... even
> though it is obvious. So I doubt the problem will be fixed any time
> soon. Even using the "sync" option is discouraged, and they actually go
> do the absolute worst thing and send O_SYNC with every write (even when
> saving state of a VM; I turn off sync in zfs when I do this). Some
> groups have some solutions that mitigate but do not eliminate the
> problem. The issue also exists with other file systems and platforms,
> but it seems the worst on ZFS. I couldn't find anything equivalent to
> those solutions that work on FreeBSD and ZFS. The closest is the patch I
> mentioned above
> (http://christopher-technicalmusings.blogspot.com/2011/06/speeding-up-freebsds-nfs-on-zfs-for-esx.html)
> which possibly would result in data corruption for non-ESXi connections
> to your NFS server that responsibly use the O_SYNC flag. I didn't test
> that patch, because I would rather just throw away ESXi. I hate how much
> it limits you (no software raid, no file system choice, no rsync, no
> firewall, top, iostat, etc.). And it handles network interruptions
> terribly... in some cases you need to reboot to get it to find all the
> .vmx files again. In other cases hacks work to reconnect to the NFS mounts.
>
> But many just simply switch to iSCSI. And from what I've heard, iSCSI
> also sucks on ESXi with the default settings, but a single setting fixes
> most of the problem. I'm not sure if this applies to FreeBSD or ZFS
> (didn't test it yet). Here are some pages from the starwind forum (where
> we can assume their servers are Windows based):

A buddy does iSCSI by default. I can't say he ever tried NFS. He
mentioned performance questions but hadn't recent data.

My server, presently, is a PoS in need of a rebuild (it started out as
ESXi 5.0 eval but then became useful) -- obtaining disks and other
priorities are the present impediment to rebuild. I need to include
shares and I /think/ remote disks (I also want to do some analysis of
combining disparate remote disks). I've been working with big data
(<35TB) and want to assign an instance (FreeBSD) as one of my engines.
About 80% of my ESXi usage is prototyping and product eval.

> Here they say "doing Write-Back Cache helps but not completely" (Windows
> specific)
> http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/starwind-f5/esxi-iscsi-initiator-write-speed-t2398-15.html
>
> And here is something (Windows specific) about changing the ACK timing:
> http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/starwind-f5/esxi-iscsi-initiator-write-speed-t2398.html
>
> And here is some other page that ended up in my bookmarks:
> http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/starwind-f5/recommended-settings-for-esx-iscsi-initiator-t2296.html
>
> Somewhere on those 3 or linked somewhere (can't find it now), there are
> instructions to turn off "Delayed ACK" (in ESXi):
>
> in ESXi, click the host
> click "Configuration" tab.
> Click "Storage Adapters"
> find and select the "iSCSI Software Adapter"
> click "properties" (a blue link on the right, in the "details" section)
> click "advanced" (must be enabled or this button is greyed out)
> look for the "Delayed ACK" option in there somewhere (at the end in my
> list), and uncheck the box.
>
> And this is said to improve things considerably, but I didn't iSCSI at
> all on ESXi or ZFS.
>
> I wanted to test iSCSI on ZFS, but I found zvols to be buggy... so I
> decided to avoid them. So I am not very motivated to try again.
>
> I guess I can work around buggy zvols by using a loop device for a file
> instead of a zvol... but I am always too busy. Give it a few months.

When I looked into iSCSI/zvol, ZFS was 1.5 under FreeBSD and the
limitations were many. I haven't looked at 2.8.

I can't say I find ESXi the most wonderful thing in the world but if I
started to rant this text would go on for pages.

Thanks for the info.