Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:49:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Justin Lundy <jbl@subterrain.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@ukip.com
Subject:   Re: Problem: Too Many open files

Justin Lundy wrote:
> You are running out of file descriptors. Tune your kern.maxfiles and
> kern.maxfilesperproc sysctl values to allow the system to open more.
> I had a similar problem after creating 3,400 virtual hosts in Apache
> on one of our production servers.

[ ... ]

> "Each open file, socket, or fifo uses one file descriptor. A large-scale
> production server may easily require many thousands of file descriptors,
> depending on the kind and number of services running concurrently.

This has to be done at boot time, or it will not allocate a
larger number of inpcb's and tcpcb's, which are allocated at
boot time by pre-reserving KVA space for zalloci().

The number of sockets will limit the number of total connections
you can make, even if you jack the "maxfiles" up, if you jack the
number up after boot.

-- Terry