Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/23978: NEW PORT: security/amavis-perl

The following reply was made to PR ports/23978; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To: Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:33:27 -0500

 On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 07:10:03AM -0800, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
 >  Yes, they do, I need them for both RUN _and_ BUILD.
 >  Is there a cleaner way of doing this instead of
 >  RUN_DEPENDS="${BUILD_DEPENDS}" ?

 No.  That is the best way, although I (and others) would prefer if it
 was:

 RUN_DEPENDS=    ${BUILD_DEPENDS}

 for aesthetic purposes.

 >  Yes, I wanted to uncomment this as a warning.

 If you're going to uncomment it, no point in keeping it.

 >  yes, but doing this demands:
 >  1) good knowledge of these MTAs
 >  2) thinking about pkg-install.pl again, and modiying it.
 >  3) what if one person has all four mailers operating together in some
 >  esoteric way?

 So you use .if defined(WANT_POSTFIX) ... .endif, and so forth for each
 of the mailers, with sendmail as the default.  You can use something
 like this (to avoid having to make the port interactive):

 .if defined(WANT_POSTFIX)
 CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-postfix
 PLIST_SUB+=             POSTFIX=""
 .else
 CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --no-postfix
 PLIST_SUB+=             POSTFIX="@comment "
 .endif
 .if defined(WANT_QMAIL)
 [...]
 .else
 [...]
 .endif
 [...]

 The best thing about this method is that it doesn't look like an ugly
 hack.  Really.  You can even add in some perl regexes to make changes as
 necessary to other files.  You can (albeit with some difficulty) add
 patches specific to a MTA by setting them up in a [pre,post]-patch
 target with the appropriate .ifdefs.  It might be easier just to do
 regexes.  You could also do patches by default that (additionally) regex
 to make specific parts of the patch ineffective (it's quite possible to
 do this :-).

 In any case, there's no limit.  You probably won't have to make any kind
 of real hacks.

 --
 wca