Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:44:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Pro 150 motherboard?

> The PPro's are stackable without additional electronics external
> to the processor.  This makes it a *lot* easier to do multiple
> CPU's up to large numbers.

Didn't anyone ever notice those neat traces between the CPUs and other
devices on the MB?  The higher and higher you go in frequency, the shorter
and shorter a wavelength becomes and the more and more these traces start
to look like antennas. There's a physical limit as to how long these
traces can be and this limit also affects how closely you can space CPUs,
without setting up a CPU hierarchy.

> Personally, I'd like a 32 processor machine; of course, that means
> fixing the kernel so that it doesn't bog down on interprocessor
> synchronization, starting with the allocation mechanism and a
> hierarchical lock manager.

And finding a way to build a 3-D motherboard.

> My goal would be to have incremental compiles going on in edit sessions
> so that when I was done editing, the code was read to run.  I hate this
> "wait for the compile" BS.

Would that be nice? :)

Bernie