Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:01:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        Ariel.Burbaickij@erl9.siemens.de (Burbaickij Ariel)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Observing troubles trying to install via FTP using Compaq Netelli gent 10/100 .Please help

> I expirience troubel trying to install over FTP using Compaq card.
> Card is properly recognized and irq is provided automatically.
> In later phase of installation system tried to scan for DHCP servers
> but have not found any due to connectivity problems(card has shown
> integer link though). Then I provided IP address and gateway same history
> of problems with network connectivity.
> What need I to do so that things function properly ?
>
> I used standard kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppies from freebsd.org
>

> If you need some additional information in order to help me I will
> be glad to provide it.

The idea is to provide lots of information right away so we don't have
to interrogate you later. (We have ways to make you talk, but we're
busy.) The most important thing is not to interpret the error/status
messages for us. It's important that we see exactly what you see. Don't
say "Card is properly recognized and irq is provided automatically,"
*show* *us* the dmesg output so we can see the kernel probe messages
that show the card being detected.

Things you need to tell us:

- Exactly what kind of card is this. Compaq has sold both ThunderLAN
  and Intel cards as "Netelligent" devices, so you need to be specific.

- What version of FreeBSD are you trying to use? Telling us that
  you're using kern.flp and mfsroot.flp is nice, but you don't say
  what directory you got them from.

- Don't say things like "card has shown interger link though." First
  of all, I have no idea what the hell that means. Second, it's much
  better if you show us what led you to this conclusion so that we
  have some idea of what's going on.

-Bill