Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 1995 20:03:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   QIC-80 tape driver sucks..

Is anyone using the floppy tape driver in FreeBSD for QIC-80 extended
length tapes?  I have a Colorado Jumbo 350 and the 'ft' program really
screws up when I use the DC2120-XL (170MB) tapes.  I'm also thinking about
upgrading to a T1000 Travan drive which supports up to 400MB
(uncompressed) tapes but I'm afraid it will have a similar problem.

As soon as I can snag a copy of the ft(1) source as well as FTAPE (the
Linux floppy tape driver which DOES work with these tapes) I should be
able to hack it into submission.  Actually I'd prefer to put floppy tape
support entirely in the kernel where it belongs (so I can use 'mt') but
I'm afraid I'm not a good enough kernel hacker for that.  I'll post up to
this list when I've got a patch, but I'd like to know first if anyone has
already solved this problem?

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL