Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 19:06:17 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CCD's - real concatenation?

On Wed,  8 April 1998 at 10:21:23 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know if you can use CCD to serially concatenate disks of
> differing sizes / types? (e.g. a 4.5gb IDE and a 2gb SCSI?)

Aaargh.  That's what comes of answering messages before reading them.
For some reason I was thinking of mirroring.

You *should* be able to configure disks this way if you don't
interleave.  I haven't tried it, but I have looked through the source
code.  It looks as if you can even specify interleave > 1 with unequal
partions, but in this case it truncates all the partitions to the size
of the smallest, definitely not what you want.

vinum can do partial mirroring and true concatenation of unequal size
partitions.  It can't interleave unequal sized partitions.  I consider
it a bug, not a feature, than CCD should allow this.

> Or whether you can CCD' an allready CCD'd array?

I still think this is a bad idea.

Greg