Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:24:32 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Several questions

Hello All!

I've been using Red Hat Linux for quite a long time, but recently decided
to try FreeBSD, since (as I understood) it is much more stable,
intelligently-written and just different from Linux.

I've install it quite easily, however, there are several places which are
still not quite clear to me.  Please note that I've spent some time
searching in previously submitted questions, but wasn't able to find
*exact* answers to my questions.  I hope I won't be annoying ;-)

1).  During installation, when fdisking/labeling my (LBA-mode in BIOS with
638/128/63 CHS) disk (approx view with linux's fdisk):

device      scyl   ecyl   size    type   comments
/dev/hda1   63     ...    20M     6      (>=32M DOS FAT)
/dev/hda2   ...    ...    64M     6      (>=32M DOS FAT)
/dev/hda3   ...    ...    ~2G     165    (big FreeBSD slice)
/dev/hda4   ...    638    ...     5      (EXTENDED)
/dev/hda5   ...    ...    ~900M   7      (NTFS)
/dev/hda8   ...    ...    64M	  0x82   (linux swap in case I need it)
/dev/hda7   ...    638    64M     6      (>=32M FAT)

_____
First, strangely enough, fbsd's install-time fdisk didn't show my logical
drives (only extended entry).  Why not?  If I am able to set mount points
to my primary DOS/FAT partitions, than why I can't see my, say, /dev/hda7
to mount it somewhere too?  Or am I missing anything?  How do I use
mount_msdos to mount logical disks?

______
Second, when defining /, /usr, /tmp, /home, setting mount points for them,
and just before (or after -- can't remember exactly, and I don't want to
repeat installation procedure all over again) dialog box about preferred
boot manager (3 choises), I get this strange warning box:

  +--------------------[Warning!]----------------------+
  |                                                    |
  |     Max one `fat' allowed as child of `whole'      |
  |                                                    |

What does this suppose to mean?!  I have _no_ idea whatsoever, even any
sort of lame guess.  Just nothing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

_____
Third, it's about distribution itself.  When I decided to download
FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE to my Linux box, I 'wget -r -b -t 0 -nr 'ed it.
Everything was fine, except that 'packages'-linked directory/All contained
*huge* amouunt of software.  When examined, it seemed to me that it is
only binaries + some config stuff, but no sources.  But the path was
../../../ports/i386/packages-3.3-release. Is this a port collection or
what?  If so, why no sources, or I didn't get something again?  Moreover,
there is ports/distfiles, seemed to be stuffed this another bunch of
tarballs.  If _this_ is the source port colection, what the purpose of
having packages link in FreeBSD "distribution root"?  Well, OK,
installator seems to be fetching binaries from packages, without compiling
them (obviously) -- like when I select GNOME/Enlightement as my preferred
window manager, but still, I can't understand how all this fits on single
Red Hat distribution CD, and occupies ~1.5 gigs in fBSD's one.  Add ports
(actuall, sources one), and it won't fit even on 4-CD set.  Please,
explain to me, what does this all mean?  Why so many used space?  Why no
symlink to ports (sources) directory from "distro root"?  What is the
purpose of packages (precompiled)?  Is it the same as ports?  If so, why
there are 2 places (ports/distfiles and ports/i386/packages-3.3-release)?
And can I tell installator to copy all ports somewhere, not only skeleton
directory (and, am I right thinking that skeleton is that ~7Mb archive in
ports dir of "distro root"?)?  If my questions seems to be obscure (or
even lame :-), just explain what you think I need to know about how all
this works.  Note that English in not my native language, so I beg your
pardon for any mistakes and unclear points ;-)

______
Fourth.  At some point during installion, installator told me that
es told me that it
can't fetch file 'local/local.inf'.  Well, there is no such file, indeed.
Neither on ftp1.ru.FreeBSD.org, nor on ftp.freebsd.org.  What is this
about?

_____
Fifth.  It's about mouse.  Why only on ttyv0?  How to turn off stupid
"graphical" cursor?  Can I cut and paste, like in Linux?

_____
Sixth.  How to make standard "blinking _" cursor (messing with rc.confs
didn't help)?

OK.  That's it for now.  Any help will be really appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.  But, please, reply direcly to me, and cc to mailinglist if you
wish, just in case something goes wrong.

Yours,

./danfe