Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:56:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Megan Connolly <mconnoll@haverford.pvt.k12.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to make backups?

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Megan Connolly wrote:

> We are running FreeBSD on a "noname" Pentium machine, with a floppy
> drive and a CD drive.  We are running this as our web server and our
> email server.  I am living dangerously, because I do not have a backup.
> How do I create a backup of the system?  What software do you recommend
> and can I perform a backup to floppies, or should I have a tape drive
> installed?

The usual way to make backups is using the `tar' or `dump' programs.
Most modern systems are too big to make floppy backups manageable.  Tapes
are the way to go, as long as they are run on a SCSI bus.  The floppy
tapes just don't work.

We have a Connor tape that works great.  The Travan stuff looks really
good and as long as it's SCSI it should be supported with little problem.
For tapes, dump works best; check out the man pages and make use of the -a
option if it's available in your version.  Otherwise use the -b and -B
options to specify the tape size.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo