Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:45:13 -0800
From:      "Gary Schenk" <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
To:        "John Bleichert" <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie mail help

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Bleichert" <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To: "Gary Schenk" <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 12:39 PM

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Shantanu Mahajan wrote:
> > Subject: Re: newbie mail help
> >
> > +++ Gary Schenk [freebsd] [17-01-03 22:28 -0800]:
> > | I've been installing FreeBSD on my home desktop. A little each day I
spend
> > | configuring. I've worked out most things with books and man pages. I
am
> > | connected to the internet by cable modem. Links worked perfectly right
away.
> > | Where I am failing is setting up my email. I am not trying to be a
mail
> > | server, just get and send mail through my ISP. The documentation seems
to be
> > | geared to mail servers. This is really confusing me. Can someone point
me in
> > | the right direction for help on email? Just a nudge in the right
direction
> > | would be most helpful.
> > |
> > | I apologize for posting with OE.
> > |
> > | Thanks!
> > |
> > # cd /etc/mail
> > # make
> > # vi `hostname`.mc
> >
> > now change the line
> > dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
> > define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
> >
> > (don't fotget to _replace_ *your.isp.mail.server*)
> > then
> > # make
> > # killall -HUP sendmail
> >
> > That's all. :-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Shantanu
>
> Is all this required? Couldn't POP mail just be gotten in the normal way
> with e.g. kmail or netscape or mozilla? The above will allow you to use
> all manner of *nix email clients, but have you tried just setting up (say)
> mozilla mail or kmail in the normal fashion?
>
> Just a thought - JB
>
> #  John Bleichert
> #  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg

I've been trying to use the command  line as much as possible in seting up
FreeBSD. I hope that this will give me a better understanding of the OS,
however this is quite a task. So I have not tried to setup one of the
desktop mail clients. I do need my email functioning however, and I am going
to try to setup Balsa now.

Whatever I read about sendmail just makes my poor head spin. It is like
reading a foreign language.

Thanks to all who have responded to my plea for help.

Gary