Date:      Thu, 10 May 2007 21:05:21 +0200
From:      David Naylor <blackdragon@highveldmail.co.za>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

--nextPart15314634.UlFRPv0S4Q

Dear Jordan

Recently I stumbled across a document you wrote in 2001, entitled "FreeBSD=
=20
installation and package tools, past, present and future".  I find FreeBSD=
=20
appealing and I would like to contribute it its success, and as your articl=
e=20
describes, the installation and packaging system is lacking.  Since the=20
installation system is being tackled under a SoC project I am hoping to giv=
e=20
the packaging system a go. =20

I was hoping you could help me with an update about the situation with pkg.=
  I=20
have searched the FreeBSD mailing lists and have found little information o=
n=20
the package system.  Once I have a (much more) complete understanding of th=
e=20
packaging system (and providing there is work to be done) I would like to=20
write up a proposal to solve the problems, and perhaps provide some=20
innovating new capabilities. =20

After that I will gladly contribute what I can to this (possible) project a=
nd=20
hopefully further and improve FreeBSD.  Any assistance or information you c=
an=20
give I will be greatly appreciate. =20

I look forward to your reply. =20

David