Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 23:52:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Teletext decoding with the Hauppauge...

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Enclosed is a very primitive program, which, together with the Bt848
> patches that I submitted a few days ago allow you to capture teletext
> data.
<snip>
> to capture page 120, etc. -- when a page is done it is displayed on
> stdout. Fancy user interfaces will come next year...

I am currently working on a teletext system (using some rather better
hardware that allows the complete page database to be maintained
in RAM/on disk rather than waiting for individual pages).  My plan for
user interface is to make a CGI that serves web pages.

Most of what I am doing won't be directly applicable, but I can let
you have a teletext page -> .gif file conversion utility if you want it.

> I am not sure if the card can only capture teletext, or also
> close-captioning or other "extended" services available around the
> world.  As an example, it _might_ be able to capture Intercast data
> (but decoding them is a completely different issue...) in the
> locations where this service is available.

The chip is farirly hard-wired to the teletext system.  In some places,
(such as the UK) closed-caption is just teletext pages using the
'box' control characters; but AFAIK the closed-caption system used
in the USA is completely different and incompatible.