Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:23:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is slower than Linux !?

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

>Do be fair, I think you should mount the FreeBSd disks asyncronously. By
>default, it is set to Synchronously. Linux, at least it used to be this
>way, is mounted asynch. Disk access is HUGELY increases under FreeBSD if
>it is set to asynch. (mount -o async /dev/filesystem)

Joking? Look at my dd-test:
	Linux	fBSD	fBSD with async	(linux with sync)
dd-test	2.61	4.95	4.78		2m06 (!!)
also with the other tests fBSD is still slower and the sync is faster,
even faster than last time without async, so FreeBSD really wrote
everything already.
and I'm sure the / was mounted with async! (checked with mount)
i'm using an i486 with 40mb's of memory so that should be enough for
FreeBSD to do something :-)

-= Paul =-

P.S. ext2 with sync mounted is terribly slow! Comparing that with fbsd, fbsd
is faster in writing really to disk.