Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:05:31 -0800
From:      Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
To:        "Christian S.J. Peron" <csjp@sqrt.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNUstep and libkvm

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 05:19:52 +0000, Christian S.J. Peron <csjp@sqrt.ca> wrote:
> iirc, kvm_getargv() can (and does first) use a sysctl to retrieve
> it's data.  kvm_getenvv() requires procfs because
> /proc/<pid>/mem is currently the more simpler to read a virtual
> memory address in the context of the process.
>
> We are looking at implementing a similar mechanism to the "argv"
> ps_strings for process environment to get rid of the procfs requirement.
>
> pjd has some work done on this but it has not been committed yet.
> Hope this answers your question.

Well .. i noticed that kvm_getargv indeed only seems to use /proc in
case that apparently the commandline argument list grows beyond a
certain size, as i have been able to establish by trial and error.

I guess my question is .. is kvm_getargv INTENDED to use the /proc
aproach in cases the command + argument list grows beyond a certain
size.

Because if that IS the case .. the manpage doesn't reflect this.

--
  With kind regards,
  Pascal Hofstee