Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:34:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot from a CD

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:

> Again I ask...  I installed FBSD 4.1 only to find out
> that the boot loader needs a patch to boot correctly.
> At least that is what I learned from the FBSD errata
> sheet out on the 'net.
>
> Is it possible to boot my newly installed FBSD 4.1 system
> from my "official" CD's that I purchased from Walnut Creek?
> If so how.
>
> Yes I have a bootable CD drive.  When I boot from my CD's
> FBSD wants to "install".  What I need to know is how to
> skip the install and boot up the FBSD system that I already
> have installed.

I am using FreeBSD 4.1-Release on several machines. Once you install
FreeBSD on your hard disk, you should be able to boot from it, no floppy
or CD-ROM is needed.  Maybe you should check the BIOS setup to tell it to
boot from your hard disk. If you still fail, try to be specific when
describing your problem and hopefully someone will try to help your out.

-Zhihui