Date:      Tue, 02 Dec 1997 12:56:50 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_aio.c

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >>And yes, the reason is performance.
> >
> >Then you should back the changes out IMMEDIATELY, as
> >
> >       *retval = 10;
> >
> >is exactly the same speed as:
> >
> >       p->p_retval[0] = 10;
>
> BZZZTT!   Wrong answer.
>
> We save the time it takes to push the &retval on the stack on ALL syscalls.

Ok, ok,
why don't you writ ea 2 paragraph description of the change..
before amd after..
and say why you think it is a win.
address compatibilty for people who have kernel modules for bot
NetBSD and FreeBSD (e.g. the ipfilter stuff)

 we do the following:
have a quick discussion about the pro's and cons.
and get David to vote.. after all that's why we voted him
to be "Chief architect" remember?
I know Sean will feel a lot better if he knows it's had a bit more
ratification..

Poul.
Can you think