Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:58:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miner <david@slis-two.lis.fsu.edu>
To:        Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@ait.ac.th>
Cc:        <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Encrypted passwords

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> > > I wonder if crypt in Perl corresponds to crypt(3). There must b some
> > > reason somewhere...
> >
> > Yeah, of course it does :
> >
> > setantae@shaft setantae$ perldoc -f crypt
> > crypt PLAINTEXT,SALT
>

> I'd assume it does, but I know I would check it anyway :)
>
> Olivier

If I knew how.

My "inspiration" for this was a series of messages back on May 2nd.

This is the main one I used for my example:

Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:58:50 +0200
From: Andrzej Groth <A.Groth@gdansk.multinet.pl>
To: freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: useradd/adduser

On Wed, 02 May 2001, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 06:02:57PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:59:50PM +0100, Lee Smallbone wrote:
> > > I see what you mean about the synopsis...!
> > >
> > >  From what I can see it isn't possible to supply the password to pw?
> > >  I'm using md5 passwords, and can easily have the script in question
encode
> > >  the password prior to calling pw, so is it possible to use (in the
verse
of
> > >  pw), something along the lines of:
> > >
> > >  pw useradd -n test -c "Test User" -d /home2/test -m -s sh
$md5encpass

> > > ?

so...
pw useradd -n test -c "Test User" -d /home2/test -s /bin/sh; chpass -p
$md5encpass test

? ;-)

br.
--
Andrzej Groth

I changed it to a system call from perl and went on.

David
David R. Miner                                   miner@lis.fsu.edu
Systems Integrator                               voice: 850-644-8107
School of Information Studies                    fax:   850-644-6253
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL  32306-2100