Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:50:04 -0500
From:      "Alexander DiMauro" <alexdimauro@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie

I've got FreeBSD 4.2, trying to setup XFree86 4.0.2.

I have an NVidia TNT2 video card and a ViewSonic A75f monitor. The computer
itself is a home built one with an iWill motherboard and an Athlon 600Mhz.
None of the other hardware seems to have a problem.

I get to the point in the install where you start the XFree86 setup.
Everything works fine, the GUI starts up, the mouse and keyboard work fine.
I select the video card from the list, then when I get to the monitor
portion, maybe I'm selecting the wrong choice? I select a monitor with
variable rate and maximum 1280 x 1024 @67Mhz. I set it to 1024 x 768. When I
tested, the screen went gray and then a white rectangle appeared in the
upper left. Is that the screen? If so, how do I center it? That's it. I
waited for a long time, nothing happened, it just stayed like that. So, I
started over, and this time picked the same settings, but @76Mhz. This time,
a blue rectangle with "Out Of Bounds" moved across the screen and once
again, I waited, and nothing happened. No keys worked, it was just stuck
like that. Both times I couldn't reboot, I had to hit the reset switch on
the computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--Alex