Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:15:13 +0100
From:      Martin Faxér <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BCP: CD ripping

Hi!

It's covered briefly in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-mp3.html

Personally, I'd say that ``dagrab'' has worked very well for me, for
ripping the audio tracks into .WAV's.

For encoding them to .MP3's I usually use GOGO (which is AFAIK the fastest
encoder available for the i386 platform, yet still it produces good
output). GOGO is based on LAME but with added optimizations; it's able
to encode at ~30X speed on my Athlon 1400 MHz, IIRC. :-)

I personally don't think that you will have a problem with the output
quality of GOGO, but if you do, I guess you can check out LAME (although
GOGO is supposed to be based on it).

  Martin Faxér