Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:27:05 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Language for Modeling Mechanical System

Kris Kennaway said on Jul 27, 2000 at 05:24:52:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> > > There's a good chance it will run under FreeBSD OSF/1ulator :-)
> >
> > I don't know about that: linux alpha binaries don't normally seem to
> > run on OSF/1. Perhaps static binaries of Fortran code will, but I
> > doubt the Fortran compiler itself will.  (The C binaries use the GNU C
> > library, even if compiled with the Compaq compiler.)  And I don't
> > think the OSF/1 (Tru64) Fortran compiler is freely downloadable. Does
> > FreeBSD/alpha have a linuxulator?  If so, that may be a better route.
>
> Nope, although the FreeBSD OSF/1ulator is advanced enough to run the OSF/1
> (dynamic) netscape binary. I'm sure problem reports with other apps would
> be welcomed.

FWIW, running OSF/1 binaries (including the dynamic netscape binary)
on linux/alpha doesn't seem to involve any special kernel options or
modules -- one only needs to copy /sbin/loader and a few essential
shared libraries from an OSF/1 machine.  (I think these are what
FreeBSD also uses, distributed as part of a netscape RPM from Compaq.)
I take that to mean the system calls are the same?  Or at least, the
linux ones are a superset of the OSF/1 ones?

So maybe running a linux binary on OSF/1, or on FreeBSD's OSF/1ulator,
may only require having the linux libraries installed in some
appropriate place.  I don't know, haven't tried it...

Rahul.