Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:40:58 +0000
From:      "jtl (Jonathan T. Looney)" <phabric-noreply@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Differential] [Commented On] D5872: tcp: Don't prematurely drop receiving-only connections

jtl added a comment.

  In https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5872#127063, @jtl wrote:

  > Doesn't tp->t_rxtshift get updated on a successful send? If not, I think that is what we should be fixing.

  Of course, tp->t_rxtshift doesn't get updated on a successful send. That's not the way this works. :-)

  Now that I've had more coffee...

  This probably amounts to the generic problem of:

  - When we send data, we should be setting the retransmit timer to make sure we retransmit.
  - When we are not sending data, we should be setting a different timer (DELACK, perhaps?) to make sure we send an ACK, when able.

  The key feature that makes the retransmit timer inappropriate for an ACK-only case is that it is only stopped when we receive input; however, in the ACK-only case, we really want to stop it as soon as we transmit a successful ACK.

  Of course, we could just drop the ACK and everything would "just work". But, it //probably// is still a good idea to try to re-transmit the ACK.

REVISION DETAIL
  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5872

EMAIL PREFERENCES
  https://reviews.freebsd.org/settings/panel/emailpreferences/