Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:56:55 +0200
From:      DanGer <danger@wilbury.sk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Planning a Upgrade (5.2.1 --> 5.3)

Hello Michael,

> DanGer danger@wilbury.sk wrote:
>> why don't you want to upgrade it via cvsup-ing the source tree and then
> build/install world/kernel?
>> this is better way from my point of view.

> Sorry I forgot to specify that I will be adding new drives to the system, so
> cvsup'ing isn't really a viable option in my case.

so, you have to backup all your important data, such as mysql
databases and all the stuff like this..
when you want to backup your user accounts, backup your /etc/passwd
and /etc/master.passwd and then just overwrite it on the new
installation, then you will also need to run `pwd_mkdb
/etc/master.passwd' to make these accounts work.

> Also, maybe you can clear something up for me.
> Every time I have cvsup'ed my source tree, and reinstalled world. I end up
> with every single binary file the base system has to offer.
> Is there any automated way I can limit the source that is compiled to the
> source I have on my existing system? (For future reference.)

i think, that all you can do about this, is to use /etc/make.conf and
reduce compiled binaries with NO_XXX options...

--
Best regards

| DanGer <danger@wilbury.sk> |
| DanGer@IRCnet ICQ261701668 |