Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:02:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Daniel Lees <dan_lees@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        danlees@earthlink.net
Subject:   Damaged rc.conf file

I was editing my rc.conf file and screwed it up.  I'm
getting these errors:

"Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a"
"/etc/rc.conf:  15:  Syntax error:  Unterminated
quoted string"

"Enter full pathname of shell or Return for /bin/sh:"

When I enter "/bin/tcsh" to get to a shell with some
decent commands I get these errors:

"sh: Cannot open /etc/termcap"
"sh: using dumb terminal settings"

I cannot get to root and I cannot edit any files.
When I try to "ed rc.conf" so I can fix the file I get
the reply:

"/tmp/ed.nxI103: Read-only file system"

I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.3.  I've considered
fdisking, formatting, and installing 4.5.  What should
I do?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Daniel