Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:18:55 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Alexander Dubinin <alex@nstl.nnov.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How I can force xntpd & ntpdate to work together? Ntpdate says "port busy" than xntp rinning...

Alexander Dubinin wrote:

>     Hello All!
>
> I'm want to run xntpd daemon to syncronize time in my local network,
> but primary host (there xntpd must live) synchronized with external time servers
> via ntpdate each 6 hours.
>
> As soon as I run xntpd, ntpdate say: "ntp port is busy". How I can
> avoid it?

	I think you misunderstand how xntpd works. It's designed to stay in
continuous synchronization with a trusted time source, not to
synchronize once every X hours. Someone else already mentioned to you
that ntpdate won't run because xntpd is bound to that port. What you
need to do is find a couple of publicly available time servers in your
area for your primary xntpd server to synch to, then your local network
can synch to your local xntpd server. Take a look at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ for a list of public time servers and
more information you will want to know. :)

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest