Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:00:22 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Graves, Scott " <Scott_Graves@sealand.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: stty status '^T' line in /etc/rc

In the last episode (Sep 10), Graves, Scott  said:
> Why is the command stty status '^T' used in rc???  I know that is
> sets status to the control sequence ^T, but what is this used for???
> Basically, what does it do???

It binds ^T to the "SIGINFO" signal.  Programs are free to trap this
and print status info.  For example, the "dd" command prints out the
current block numbers, plus throughpus stats, every time you hit ^T.

The kernel also traps SIGINFO and prints out the following line:

load: 1.30  cmd: dd 24578 [running] 0.12u 1.05s 6% 112k

, with loadavg, current running command, that process's PID, user and
system time used so far, current CPU usage, and incore process size.

It's a feature I wish other Unixes had.  Dec's OSF/1 has "stty status ^T"
and "stty -nokerninfo", but they don't seem to do anything.  Linux and SCO
simply don't have it.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com