Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:07:44 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: poudriere(8) short circuits my ability to build packages

Hi!

> > hint using jail is not it, poudriere
> > leverages jails, but we could do without jail while providing the same
> > value.
> Not if it imposes itself.

It does not. The complexity of keeping such a huge number of
interdepend ports/packages building and running is not imposed
by poudriere, it's imposed by the general development pace.

Having tools like poudriere helps enormously to keep things
together.

> If I've misunderstood the message reported to me by pkg(8) in my attempt
> to create a package, and it *doesn't* prevent me from creating a
> package in my chosen environment.

It does not prevent you, but the port (not pkg) message is written
in relation to poudriere. So yes, I think you misunderstood the
message. To be fair, the topic is complicated and formulating
a message that can not be misunderstood is non-trivial.

--
pi@FreeBSD.org         +49 171 3101372                  Now what ?