Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:37:25 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

> Now, when I see that FreeBSD community is made by such _proud_ people as you
> are [and remember: I was trying to became a FreeBSD advocate, even if I'm
> coming from Linux! so we weren't in any "religious" war!], I may change my
> mind. Maybe FreeBSD is not the best choice. Maybe other Unix-like Oses
> [primarily, Linux, I don't know which distribution, but let's say Linux for
> now] should take from FreeBSD all the good stuff andf that's all! I hate
> GPL, but due to the fact that it also exist a LGPL for the libraries,
> writing code from scratch and *dynamically* linking them with gnu libs make
> easy to keep private your sources, hence developping commercial apps for
> Linux. Why losing so much time for persuading people to switch to FreeBSD if
> the FreeBSD community doesn't want this? Let them enjoy this marvelous OS
> just for themelves, in the club...

Hey, this is NOT Linux. Linux is a kernel, FreeBSD is an operating
system. You *CAN'T* throw everything in. First, because much of this
"everything" is *others* people software. We *do* throw in some
things from other projects, such as the compiler, the dns server,
the mailer. But we also *take care* of it. We have it in our cvs
source tree, we make revisions to it, we take problem reports (and
often ask the originator to forward to the apropriate party, true
enough), we patch it, and add things to it sometimes. But we
*cannot* do that to every piece of software in the planet. It's
impossible, and it's not productive.

So, please, if you think there is a great program out there, FIRST
OF ALL, remember it's *OUT THERE*. The *best* way to deal with it is
make a PORT out of it. And here are the reasons:

* Ports take much, much less space, and so we can pack much, much
more ports.
* Ports are optionally installed, so people who don't care about
it[1] don't need to install it.
* Ports are much more up to date than it would be possible if it was
in the OS[2].

[1] Such as the great number of users who install FreeBSD in a
monitor-less, mouse-less computer going into a rack, only to be
accessed by telnet (ssh, etc) or serial console.

[2] It's easier to update a port than import the source into the CVS
tree, and we don't need to deal with the hassle of bugs coming in
newer versions. Also, ports MAINTAINERS are much more numerous than
committers, and we couldn't have it any other way[3] and keep the
quality.

[3] Don't give me that crap about we being more closed. We are
talking about *everything*. Whatever you think of Linux openness,
that is not the true of all software coming in a Linux distro, which
is what colorls is all about. As a matter of fact, some of it is
*closed source*.

The reason people are getting mad at you is that you have been told
from the beginning that what linuxapps or whatever does is the
equivalent they *at last* implemented of our Ports, and still
inferior to boot, but you just DON'T F*CKING LISTEN.

Next time a friend of yours say "FreeBSD doesn't come with
colorls/bash", answer that if they can't select what software they
want installed at installation time, or if they can't change the
shell they want to use, or create an alias for the ls command, they
have no business using Unix in first place. Not even Linux.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Is it true that you're a millionaire's son who never worked a day
in your life?"
	"Yeah, I guess so."
	"Lemme tell you, son, you ain't missed a thing."