Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:19:36 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        "r.query" <r.query@comcast.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question re firewall and configuration

> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:10:20 -0400
> From: "r.query" <r.query@comcast.net>
> Subject: Question re firewall and configuration
> To: "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

    please, have your mua break lines at about 72 chars, please.

    oh, and breaking text into shorter paragraphs makes the text easier
    to read, improving your chances of getting replies.

> I have several machines I use as firewalls using FreeBSD-STABLE and
> IPFILTER.  When I want to rebuild or update one, what I would like to
> do is to run it as a regular client machine behind a(nother) firewall
> machine and cvsup from there.  What I have attempted to do in this
> case is to modify rc.conf to shut off one of the nic cards (the one
> assigned the outside or internet side of the network), shut off the
> kernel security option, shut off ipnat and ipfilter, reboot the
> machine and run cvsup.  However, whenever I have tried this, I can
> never ping my local gateway or any other machine on my local network.
> I just get a "no route to host" error.  I know this must be some
> simple error on my part, but I have not been able to find anything in
> posts on Google that have been helpful.  Can someone here tell me
> where I am confused and messing this up?  Thanks for any help.

    i'll hazard to say that you forget to set gateway_enable="NO" and
    defaultrouter="1.2.3.4" in your /etc/rc.conf

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
2:16PM up 5 days, 2:11, 16 users, load averages: 1.04, 1.02, 0.69