Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:20:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
To:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
Cc:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is slower than Linux !?

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Jay D. Nelson wrote:

>You're quite right -- but that's dangerous on a production system no
>matter what the OS. I should have kept my fingers quite. You see, I
>look at FreeBSD as a _production_ system. And frankly, I've found that
>it does as good a job and in some areas better that commercial Unices
>like AIX, Solaris and AT&TSVR4. In fact I use it in just such an
>environment.

and what do you think of fBSD as an internet server, or fileserver?
choose another os instead of FreeBSD or?

>My experience with Linux is that it poops out under load -- and some
>of the distributions aren't much better than NT. Blame the pud
>whackers who put together the distributions -- not the kernel.
(which distrib? rh/slack/debian?)

>My point was simply that when you put both under a real life multiuser
>load, the differences are fairly obvious. And frankly, I wouldn't use
>async mounts for anything other than news.

Hmm... I tried to mount my harddisk with the async option, but I'd say it
doesn't differ much;
	Linux	fBSD	fBSD with async
dd-test	2.61	4.95	4.78

that's not that nice if you want to run a fileserver.

>On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
>
>>> Hmm... It might be revealing if you tried all of that with a couple of
>>> compiles and a tar of /usr running simultaneously. Final combined
>>> times may be more revealing.
>>>
>>> -- Jay

>>Do be fair, I think you should mount the FreeBSd disks asyncronously. By
>>default, it is set to Synchronously. Linux, at least it used to be this
>>way, is mounted asynch. Disk access is HUGELY increases under FreeBSD if
>>it is set to asynch. (mount -o async /dev/filesystem)
>>

>-- Jay

-= Paul =-
 __   _
/  |_| |