Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:04:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Redundancy...

> I also have no idea of where you would think a fuel-cell based plant
> could used somewhere a traditional diesel/natural gas/propane
> generator could not.

   The emissions of a fuel cell are mostly (all?) heat and water, so they
can be used indoors- especially for "short" periods of time, as in a power
emergency. (probably not a good idea to fill the unventilated server room
with hot, moist air- but in an emergency it could be done) At least you're
not going to poison yourself, or those nearby- a big plus in my book.

   Some areas will prohibit you from storing liquid fuel on premisis.
Storing a couple 20lb H2 tanks (or CNG/LPG/propane if the cell can do a
clean conversion for you)  is much more acceptable (if no less dangerous
under proper conditions) than a having a big jug of diesel around.

   In cramped quarters, the noise of a generator could get annoying really
fast- and remote location can present problems of its own.

   Like I said, there are lots of companies promising to deliver products
that look suitable, and some that supposedly already have. (but we all
know how firm tech-related release dates are/not) I was hoping (but not
really expecting) to hear from users with deeper pockets about what I
think is a killer technology for this type of application.

-=Jim=-

P.S. I'm building a bookmark list of things people send, and will post
     here if and when it seems worthwhile. Nothing dramatic yet, but a few
     mildly interesting things.