Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:54:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        crtb@capecod.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sending mail while PPP is up

> On my modem-bound FreeBSD-2.2.2R system, a cron job running every two
> hours brings up a PPP session, and fetches mail via POP from my ISP.
>
> I read and respond to that mail at an irregular schedule, so that
> often when I send mail, the PPP link is down.  I sometimes get the
> message "Cannot send mail for five days", and wonder frequently if
> the mail ever got sent.
>
> The question: is there a signal or some other way I can communicate
> with sendmail which will cause it to attempt to send immediately?
> If so, I can put the appropriate kill command in the script which
> fetches mail.
>
> Comments appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>         Chuck Bacon -- crtb@capecod.net
>                 ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY

 Yes -

    run

	sendmail -q

    as root when you bring your PPP connection up;  that will cause
  it to examine the existing mail-queue and process any deferred messages.
  To see how many deferred messages you might have in your queue, use
  the 'mailq' command.

  I take a similar approach with my SL/IP connection; it works great.

	- Dave Rivers -