Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:28:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        shovey@buffnet.net (Steve)
Cc:        robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: progress report on connection problems

> I had similar problems using annexes as term servers with user - and have
> posted numerous times that this problem only exists with freebsd  - sco,
> linux, etc doesnt have trouble - only every time I post it I get bashed
> about the head and lectured on freebsd having perfect tcp/ip and
> everything else in the world having faulty tcp/ip.

Please notify Annex that their TCP/IP implementation is non-conforming
int the area of option negotiation (the "Cherynobl packets", where if
any option bits are set, all option bits get set).

They are non-compliant with forwarding of SYN packets containing data,
since they strip the data.

They are also nominally non-compliant with extention negotiation, since
they should negotiate with the host to turn extensions they do not
support off (ie: RFC 1323 and RFC 1644).

They also do not implement RFC 1323 or RFC 1644 (they *must* implement
*all* extensions they fail to negotiate off).

In short, we *claim* they are broken because they *are* broken.

If you wish to be able to interoperate with faulty implementations,
you can always turn off the extensions which trigger the problem
with the faulty implementation.  Meanwhile, it provides a nice
diagnostic for detecting bad TCP/IP implementations, which will
only be going to hell in a big way all at once when IPv6 gating
comes online, otherwise.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org