Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:32:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Milind Bajekal <milind@rolta.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem getting login prompt

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Milind Bajekal wrote:
> We are using BOCA 33.6 external modem at both ends.
>
> the ttys file is set to
>
> tty01	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	      term  	on secure
>
> and the gettytab is set to
>
> 2|std.9600|9600-baud:\
> 	:np:sp#9600:
>
> This works fine and we get the login prompt.
>
> But if we either increase or decrease the baud rate by changing the ttys
> entry and gettytab entry, we get garbled characters instead of login prompt.

When you change the baud rate of the port you need to connect to
the modem locally to let it sync to the new speed.

Try
# cu -l /dev/cua0 -s 4800 dir

You should get a Connected message.  Then issue some AT commands like
ati

Disconnect with a ~ .  You enter the tilde, pause a bit and your
machine name should appear in brackets and then enter the dot

See the modem manual on locking port speed.

It's been quite a while since I've had to do this so I probably have
some detail wrong but this should get you moving in the right direction.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com