Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:06:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.NL>
To:        Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Brooktree 878 Framegrabber (TV) + Fxtv

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:

> I can't believe it... FreeBSD controls my WinTV (BT878) better than
> Windows does, much better than Linux. (remote control and the whole bit)
>
> Now that I have everything installed to make a workstation on the
> 4.0-CURRENT machine sitting next to me... I wished I installed it
> earlier :-)

I got the cheapest card available: Pinnacle TV with mono sound support
(through sound card). I had it in two Windows machines. In both it
would hang the machine after some time (between 1 and 3 hours),
usually turning the screen into modern art (vertical or horizontal
lines). Hard reset necessary. There were no errors, conflicts or
anything to be seen or found in the control panel.

In my FreeBSD box it is great. No problems at all, except sometimes
with grabbing a picture, which is probably related to a shortage of
free RAM, as I run (at nice 20) mersenne primers. Stopping one of
those (it is an smp box) solves it.

> I love FreeBSD.

I adore it.

> Cheers,
> Sean

Marc Schneiders

marc@gluur.net
marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	  1:00am  up  16 days,49 mins,  load average: 2.23 2.14 2.23