Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 07:54:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: remote xfmail

Nicole,

I am sure others will respond as well but I have a few suggestions:

First, as to being able to read your mail.  You can use an app called vnc if
your work machine has it's own IP.  (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)  Then
you can connect to your machine and see the X setup, just as if you were right
there in front of it.  And if you want to do it from any machine, you can use
the vncjava server, which lets you connect from any java web browser or applet
runner.  I installed it last week and am very impressed.

On the flip side, it also lets you serve from a Win95 machine, so that you can
access and run apps on a Win95 machine as if you were sitting in front of it.
In this case, it takes over the screen, so if you move your mouse, the pointer
on the Winbox moves.  (A really good way to mess with the guy in the next
cubicle, if you are miscevious.)

As to news readers, I use kNews.

All of the above is in the ports directories: vnc in net/vnc, vncjava in
net/vncjava and knews in news/knews.

Hoped this helped.  Glad you came over from the dark side ;)

Patrick