Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:18:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        chen6178@hotmail.com (Albert Chen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why FreeBSD is better than WinNT? please give me ten reasons.

In a previous message, Albert Chen said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currenlty using FreeBSD. My advisor prefers WinNT,
> I telled him to try FreeBSD, but he asked me:
> "Why FreeBSD is better than WinNT? give me ten reasons
> and I will try it?" I don't know how to answer,
> would anyone tell me, thanks.

Off the top of my head.

 1) It's free.
 2) It's faster (ie, less power hungry). It works fine
    on a 386. My home machine is a Cyrix P150 FBSD is fast
    Win98 is a dog.
 3) It's stable. I can't tell you how many times I've had to
    reboot the 2 NTs on my desk, just today. 12?
 4) It comes with a compiler.
 5) There are 1000s of free apps for it. With source.
 6) It's Unix
 7) You can get actual support. Doug White is worth about
    40 Microsoft engineers (at least).
 8) It follows standards, instead of imposing "standards"
 9) Runs Linux Apps
10) Runs SCO Apps

How's that.

--
Kids, just because I don't care doesn't mean I'm not listening.
	- Homer Simpson