Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 21:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating Slice Table

Doug White wrote,
> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>
> > I am doing some slice and partition resizing. I just used fdisk to
> > steal some space from slice to another. Specifically, I took a chunk
> > from 2 and gave it to 4, here is the new table,
>
> Er.....  this is not a good idea.

If I need a bigger slice, what else can I do (short of adding a new
drive)?

[snip]

> > # disklabel -r wd0s4
> > # /dev/rwd0s4:
> > type: ESDI
> > disk: wd0s4
> > label:
> > flags:
> > bytes/sector: 512
> > sectors/track: 63
> > tracks/cylinder: 255
> > sectors/cylinder: 16065
> > cylinders: 83
> > sectors/unit: 1333395
> > rpm: 3600
> > interleave: 1
> > trackskew: 0
> > cylinderskew: 0
> > headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
> > track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
> > drivedata: 0
> >
> > 8 partitions:
> > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
> >   c:  1333395        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 82)
> >   d:  1333395        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 82)
> >
> > Now, why can I still read the disklabel? Anyway, I use 'disklabel -e
> > -r wd0s4' to change the number of cylinders to 87 and the size of the
> > partitions to 1397655, but when I try to save it, disklabel says,
> >
> > disklabel: No space left on device
> > re-edit the label? [y]:
>
> You can't edit those values.  Also use 'disklabel -r -e wd0s4' to get the
> right label (otherwise you get the one out of memory, which is useless).
> You have to create a new partition and take on the new space.

Does it really matter to disklabel whether I specify 'disklabel -r -e
wd0s4' or 'disklabel -e -r wd0s4' on the command line? Why can't I
edit those values? I'm root, dammit, I can do whatever I want! ;)

BTW, I did reboot the machine and the disklabel from wd0s4 had been
cleaned from wherever it was being read. I wrote a new one, newfs'ed
the partition, and all seems well.