Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:53:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        tadayuki@mediaone.net
Cc:        will@csociety.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

[moved to -ports]

On 21 Jan, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:

>> > You  can   break  binary  compatibility  without   breaking  source
>> > compatibility. And it's not rare case.

>> Would you be able to offer an  example on how this is relevant to the
>> argument? Thanks!

> I meant: If port A depends on port B's library. port B updated. Assume
> it breaks  binary compatibility. port A  build will not be  broken, so
> forget PORTREVISION  bump. People update  port B,  but not port  A. so
> port A will stop working.

Well, what  I changed only affects  the situation, when port  A is built
after port B:

An earlier version of  port B is already present and port  A is known to
work fine with it. So it detects  the acceptable version of the libB and
compiles/links with it.  I don't think my idea affects  the way upgrades
are handled.

BTW, come to  think of it, the whole *_DEPENDS  system should, probably,
be changed  to look for  the file/library  in the +CONTENTS  files under
/var/db/pkg...

	-mi