Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 22:46:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Purwanto Nugroho <purwanto@te.ugm.ac.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, purwanto@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD <--> Linux   PLIP connection

from tne man page for the lpt port lp interface,
you need the link0 flag to ifconfig
(see below)

man 4 lp

LP(4)        FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual (i386 Architecture)
LP(4)

NAME
     lp - printer port Internet Protocol driver

SYNOPSIS
     ifconfig lp0 myaddress hisaddress [-link0]
         device lpt0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

DESCRIPTION

     The lp driver allows a PC parallel printer port to be used as a
point-to-
     point network interface between two similarly configured systems.
Data
     is transferred 4 bits at a time, using the printer status lines for
in-
     put: hence there is no requirement for special bidirectional hardware
and
     any standard AT-compatible printer port with working interrupts may
be
     used.

     The lp driver is implemented as an integral part of the lpt driver,
and
     will automatically be present in a kernel configured with Internet
sup-
     port and at least one lpt device.  During the boot process, for each
lpt
     printer device which is probed and has an interrupt assigned, a
corre-
     sponding lp network device is created.  Available devices are
announced
     with a message such as:
           lp0: TCP/IP capable interface

[...]

     The communication protocol is selected by the link0 flag:

     -link0      (default) Use FreeBSD mode (LPIP).  This is the simpler
of
                 the two modes and therefore slightly more efficient.

     link0       Use Crynwr/Linux compatible mode (CLPIP).  This mode has
                 simulated ethernet packet header, and is easier to
interface
                 to other types of equipment.