Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:34:35 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "John C. Place" <placej@ctcdist.com>
Subject:   Re: QNX terminal emulation

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:16:20 -0500, John C. Place wrote:

>My question is how do I get FreeBSD to run QNX terminal? (I may not be saying
>this correctly) I have most of the must have unix admin books (except for
>none on termcap) even the "BSD Bible" from Gregg L. but they have precious
>few pages on this subject.
>
>I have the source termcap file from QNX but how do I put it to use. I also
>know that linux has this emulation out of the box if for some reason the one
>that comes with QNX is proprietory then I can get from the Linux install and
>use it.
>
>I am afraid that my knowledge in this area is lacking so forgive me if I am
>asking a stupid question, I just havent had the need to change terminal
>emulation. I have a feeling it is a simple fix just I am not looking in
>the right place.

It's been many years since I wrestled with creating my own termcaps.  I
had little choice at the time, because I was dialing into unix at work
from an Atari 8-bit at home.  I had a terminal emulator based on the
DEC VT52 with a few enhancements.  I figured out way back then that
only four entries are neccessary in the termcap definition to get vi to
open in visual mode, but I sure couldn't remember which ones they were
now!

I suspect that you might not find someone with a ready-made solution.
If that's the case, you might want to get a copy of "termcap &
terminfo" from O'Reilly.  This book should give you enough knowledge to
*port* the termcap entry you have.  I'd use the man page and verify
each piece of the termcap.

HTH

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.