Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:07:13 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, Hani Mouneimne <hani@nimsay-networks.com>
Cc:        "." <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Crashing box

At 05:48 PM 10.13.2003 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:19:58PM +0200, Hani Mouneimne wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I was wondering if you could help with this issue.
>>
>> Eeverytime I run a make/compile on my freebsd 4.8 p10 systrem it has a
>> complete spaz and reboots. Usually cores and someimes gives no messages at
>> all in the logfiles.
>> Here is the latest output of a makeworld I am doing
>> ="sh /usr/src/tools/install.sh"

PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/u
sr/src/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
>> make -f Makefile.inc1 par-depend
>> *** Signal 11
>> *** Signal 11
>> Killed
>
>I assume you've read the FAQ entry on Sig11:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#SIGNA
L11

>Signal 11, especially if it occurs in an unpredictable place during
>compiles or other heavy weight operations, is a clear sign of hardware
>problems, but I think you know that from what you say next.
>
>> This is just one of many crashes of similar scale, Sefaulting is also
>> common.
>> I have changed the entire server hardware including the hard drive and
it is
>> still doing this. It was fine with FreeBSD p0 so I am wondering it it could
>> be some code issue.
>
>Tricky.  Are you sure you've swapped out *all* of the hardware?  SEGVs
>are typically due to memory or CPUs going bad, but there are several
>other considerations.

In addition to the good advice by Matthew, I had one particular server that
was driving me nuts in a similar manner -- and, I had changed out ALL of
the hardware and was getting ready to change out the Mobo as last resort.
Then, I noticed something in the BIOS. In one section, there were some
settings for "monitoring all of the IRQs" and "ON" was set for several
IRQs, maybe 4 or 5 and that included things like "wake on ring", "wake on
LAN" and others. VOILA! I disabled all of the "monitoring" and that *seems*
to have finally eliminated this strange affliction.

I gather that if any calls by the OS on those monitored IRQs happened to
cause a conflict by instructing the machine to react in two different
manners at the same time, a reboot and/or core dump would occur -- at least
cause problems.

Anyway, check your BIOS carefully. Even though I checked & rechecked the
BIOS many times, I had never noticed this "monitored IRQs".....

BTW, I had reassigned the above box as a "build box" and it went really
nuts on that effort and had all of the errors one could imagine -- and not
a single successful build. This is when I discovered the BIOS glitch.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net