Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 08:14:37 -0700
From:      bmah@cisco.com (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@cisco.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Version question/request

--==_Exmh_-1865726131P

If memory serves me right, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 10:50:00PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > When I was working on pkg_version, I thought of having something that
> > tracks the last time any of a Port's files get modified.  It'd have to
> > be automatic, because otherwise, updating a port would be too painful.
> > We can't depend on the modification dates of (e.g.) the Makefile or the
> > patchfiles.
>
> I'm wildly guessing here, but is it perhaps possible to write some scripts
> that are run at 'cvs ci' time that increment a number in the Makefile,
> or something?

Hmmm...this might not be as easy as it sounds...I go to commit a change
to a patch file, and then something needs to go check out the main
Makefile, increment, and then check it back in.  CVS has provisions to
run some scripts on the server side at commit time (in fact this is how
the commit logs get generated if I'm not mistaken) but I don't know how
suitable this would be.

> > I have to think about implications for pkg_version now, if any. I don't
> > think the security fix number belongs as a part of the version number
> > (e.g. xmmix-1.2), but I can't think of a clean way to do this otherwise.
>
> Well I'd follow the standard naming conventions e.g. package foo, version 1.2
> ,
> FreeBSD version 2 becomes foo-1.2-2. pkg_version can be modified to check
> for the FreeBSD version bump first.

Sure...its version number parsing is ugly enough that one more hack
isn't going to make much difference.  :-p

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1865726131P

--==_Exmh_-1865726131P--