Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 12:06:39 +1200
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "'Robin P. Blanchard'" <Robin_Blanchard@gactr.uga.edu>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: mount madness

:: Ok. I take a marvelously running Windows 2000 system and
:: install the second harddisk that has windows98/fat32x on it.
::
:: Bios recognizes drive correctly.
:: Windows recognizes there's a drive, recognizes there's a partition
:: on it and assigns it a drive letter; but doesn't think it's formatted
:: and insists on me formatting the partition.
::
:: If I put that disk as a second disk in my FreeBSD box I
:: cannot mount it.
::
::   root@quattro [~]# mount -t msdos /dev/ad1s1 /mnt/fat32
::   msdos: /dev/ad1s1: Invalid argument
::
:: If I put that disk in a Linux box, Linux cannot mount it either.
:: Both FreeBSD and Linux see the partition scheme.
::
:: If I boot with a Windows98 floppy I have full access to the drive.
::
:: Jumpers and Bios setting all look fine.

Well, this in issue on which you could either spend hours, fiddling with
a disk editor of some kind, or you could just plug the drive into a
Win98 box, copy over whatever you want to keep and then put a more
sensible file system on the drive.

Unless you have a particular interest in unravelling the mysteries of
esoteric Microsoft file systems, I would seriously consider the latter
QAD method.

--
Juha