Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:00:28 -0800
From:      Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't add remote users on mysql323-server

Radoslav Vasilev (rvasilev@uni-svishtov.bg) wrote:

> The problem I've never had before is that I can't add remote new user on mysql-server 3.23 .
> I've got an FreeBSD 4-2 machine, and installed mysql as a port (databases/mysql323-server). I've the habit ot doing 'insert into user.... and flush privileges ' way of adding users on two other mysql servers(3.22).
>  Doing plain telnet mysqlhost 3306 prints:
> 'You are not wellcome to use mysqld from clienthost.domain.xx' , making me thing the privilege system is not updated after my insert. I've tried all the possible way of defining my host - as a clienthost, clienthost.domain.xx , ip-address etc. So, I wonder does it have something to do with updating of the server ( tracking 4-Stable branch)
> I'll appreciate  any idea where the problem might be, any hint, whatever. I just can't afford new compilation. At least

Since this is a 4.2 machine I wonder if you have commented out:

	ALL : ALL : allow

in your /etc/hosts.allow file. If you have then you might need to add an
entry in there like so:

	mysqld : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : allow

Just an idea and this is assuming that you have set the proper grants in
the mysql server to be accessed from that host.

TIA