Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:18:24 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS access denied

>On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have an ancient NIS domain with an ultrix master and several hp-ux
>> slave servers.  I am trying to add a freebsd slave that will eventually
>> become the master.  I have transferred most of the maps and have ypserv
>> running, but after updating the ypservers map I am not able to propagate
>> it to the freebsd slave.  Here's what I'm getting:
>>
>> On master:
>>
>> $ yppush ypservers
>> Status received from ypxfr on xxxx:
>>         Failed - Transfer request refused.
>>
>> In /var/log/messages on xxxx, the freebsd slave:
>>
>> Sep 21 18:34:04 xxxx ypserv[4290]: access to ypservers denied -- client
>> 111.222.333.444:2746 not privileged
>>
>> [I've obscured the hostname and ip address here, for insecurity reasons.]
>>
>> I've not found any clues in the man pages or the Lehey book.
>> Before I go source-diving, does anyone happen to know the answer I'm
>> looking for here?
>
>Just a guess, FreeBSD's yp system expects you to connect from a secure
>port (port number < 1024), see if HP has any flags to force use
>of a secure port, (perhaps you aren't running it as root?) or
>perhaps FreeBSD has a flag to accept connections from ports > 1024,
>but i wouldn't leave than enabled, it's a bad security problem.
>
>-Alfred

Yes, I believe this is the source of the problem.  I have not found any
way to get FBSD ypserv to accept insecure connections.  One thing you
missed above is that the current master server is ultrix.  The HP servers
are all slaves.  What I found with some experimentation is that the
FBSD slave will happily ypxfr maps from an HP slave, just not from the
ultrix master (ypxfr: ypserv on yyyyy not running on reserved port
ypxfr: Exiting: Transfer request refused by ypserv).

The workaround I thought of last night while not staring at the monitor
trying to be clever is to break the operation into two steps:  first
move the master from the ultrix box to one of the HPs, then move it
again from the HP to the FBSD box.  Extra work, but probably less total
effort than figuring out how to kludge getting the ultrix -> FBSD
ypxfr to work.  :-)

-Mitch