Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:00:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        gvb@tns.net, jef53313@bayou.uh.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compat_2_2

> Ok, so my upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.1 upgraded the crypt() stuff, but now,
> because of this upgrade, none of my old master.passwd files work.. and on
> systems with thousands of users I cant sit here and change every users
> password.. there has got to be a way to make it backwards compatible, or
> convert old to new.. any ideas?
>
> GVB

 You shouldn't be having these problems... I've used the same password
file basically since 386BSD.

 If you have password entries that look like $1$xxxx - then you were using
MD5 crypt and not DES script.

 I'm guessing you were using one or the other before and have now
(accidently) changed.

 You should have no problems using the previous entries.

 The DES stuff even works across other systems; I used to cut-and-paste
passwords from HP and Sun boxes into /etc/master.passwd with no problem.

 Anyway, although there isn't much specific help in this note - I hope
it is encouraging... I'm confident that you won't have to change all of
your entries.

	- Dave Rivers -